Tuesday 9 October 2012

Judging a book by its cover

With time very short now until we vote, I have a confession - with this group of books, I have not had the time (and, I admit, in some cases, the inclination) to read the shortlist due to various reasons. I shall abstain therefore from the voting on Monday, though will ensure I am there to help Jan out with the refreshments! For those of you who I have done a shadow reading group with before, you'll know that I DO judge a book by its cover initially so on that basis, I am going to pick my "winner" based purely on cover design (and its appeal to me and me alone so feel free to disagree!).
For me, the most intriguing cover design is Narcopolis - it is visually very stunning. However, I don't find it the most appealing - that accolade belongs to Swimming Home. Using the 'signatures' of the cover, this is the one that appeals most to me - it doesn't seem overly foreboding (Lighthouse, I'm looking at you!) nor does it look too historical/adventure (Bodies, that's you!). Dare I say it, it looks like a summer read! Garden of Evening Mists is the nicest looking cover for me - beautiful design and seems an interesting book. As for Umbrella, I like the picture but that's about it - does nothing to entice or attract me (though this may be because I struggle with Self's writing).
So, for me then, the winner is Swimming Home - most appealing cover and the one I would most want to read! How's that for scientific judging! Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. Well, I didn't read any of them, either, though I did read the first 60 pages of Umbrella and requested Wolf Hall but sent it back unread. Judging by the cover, I choose Umbrella. It has the most appealing look, it's chunky, it has a great texture. It looks like something different, it stands out. Most appealing: Umbrella Most romantic: Evening Mists Most I-would-never-look-close-enough-at-that-to-even-read-the-title: Narcopolis Most mainstream looking: Bring Up the Bodies Most oh-God-this-one-thinks-it's-worthy: Lighthouse Apparently most forgettable because I've had to sit here and think of it: Swimming Home

    ReplyDelete